Writer, editor, and publicist with 25+ years of exceptional communication
Writing, Editing, Translating, Publishing
• Magazine articles (history, current events, health, veterans’ issues), books (poetry), and contributions to anthologies and literary journals; see claudiagary.com
• Photojournalism, interviewing
• Extensive editing of magazines, newsletters, books
• Website content and design
• Translation from French and German
• Audio transcription
• Solo publication of newsletters, booklets, and other items
Publicity, Communications, and Event Planning
• Writing and distribution of press releases
• Creation of brochures, advertisements, and other publicity materials
• Complete publicity campaigns (printed and electronic) for individuals and organizations
• Panel discussions and workshops
• Author events and literary readings
• Meetings and luncheons
Teaching and Public Speaking
• Conference panels and seminars
• Adult education classes
• Writing workshops for adults and children
WRITING, EDITING, TRANSLATION, PUBLISHING
Senior Editor, Vietnam Magazine, Weider History Group, Leesburg, Va., 1999-2009.
Accomplished substantial writing, rewriting, and editing of entire magazine. Compiled Events, Letters, Reviews, and News columns, including online page editing. Conducted interviews. Created outreach programs to boost circulation; initiated and maintained communication with organizations and authors; served as magazine’s primary contact with readers and the public, and as liaison between overseas editor and in-house staff.
Editor, The Working Voice, Annandale, Va., 1998-2000. Assisted musician/teacher in preparation of a book, from audio transcription onward.
Medical Transcriptionist, Medquist/DDI. Vienna, Va., 1994-99. Transcribed reports in all specialties, including surgical reports, discharge summaries, psychiatric reports, and other confidential hospital records.
PUBLICITY, COMMUNICATIONS, AND EVENTS PLANNING
Individual Author Representative, Boston, Mass., 1997-2002. Created press releases, book lists, print ads, stationery design; developed press, radio, and TV contacts.
Founding Board Member, Loudoun Symphony Orchestra, 1990-91 (Loudoun County, Va.). Produced programs and promotional materials for events including premier concert.
Northern Regional Vice President, Poetry Society of Virginia, 2000-08. Organized and publicized an annual statewide luncheon event and various local activities.
Events Coordinator (independent), 1994-98. Inglenook Bookstore, Leesburg, Va.; The Little Professor Bookstore, Reston, Va.; Borders Books & Music, Arlington, Va., and Washington, D.C. Organized author events in coordination with bookstore personnel.
Founder and Organizer, Leesburg Poetry and Chamber Music Series, 1992-96. Initiated and coordinated this series of events featuring visiting writers and local musicians.
TEACHING AND PUBLIC SPEAKING
Instructor, Town of Leesburg, Va., 1991; also scheduled for 2009. Created and taught adult-education classes in writing and music.
Presenter, conference panels and seminars, West Chester University (Pa.) Poetry Conference, 1997, 2007, and 2008.
Instructor, poetry workshops, Poetry Society of Virginia, Williamsburg, 2004 and 2007.
Guest Instructor, Richard Moore’s Poetry Exchange in Leesburg, Va., and Cambridge, Mass., 1997-99. Gave workshops on writing, revision, editing, and publication.
Guest Instructor, Cool Spring Elementary School and Foxcroft School (“Summer’s Here” day camp), 1992-94. Gave poetry workshops/readings for school children.
• AP and Chicago styles
• Quark Express
• MS Word, including troubleshooting (typing up to 90+ wpm)
• Familiarity with both PC and Macintosh
• HTML for creating and updating website content
• Protocol and program conversions
• MIDI and music notation using “Finale” software
• BASIC programming, ASCII tables, and telecommunications
• Publication of magazine articles in Vietnam, VVA Veteran, and elsewhere, 2005-09.
• Publication of poetry collection, Humor Me (David Robert Books, 2006).
• Northern Regional Vice President, Poetry Society of Virginia, through 2008.
• Nominated for an “Outstanding Woman of Loudoun County” Award (Cultural Affairs category) sponsored by Loudoun Commission on Women, 1999.
• Music commission, Western Slope Chamber Music Series, Crested Butte, Colo., 1994.
• Founding board member, Loudoun Symphony Orchestra, 1990-91.
• Publication of art song and numerous poems in journals and anthologies, U.S. and U.K.